Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 9, 2010

FRESHMEN: Pre test correction.

TRUE OR FALSE




1.____F____ Most of the European emigrants found work in New York. They didn´t find anything, that's why they went west.





2.____F____The settlers travelled east to find farmland. They travelled to the west.



3.____T____Many of the settlers believed there was gold in California.



4.____F____The biggest problem for the settlers was the Native American Indians. The Natives were generous and helpful.





5.____T____The Oregon trail was more than 3,000 km. long.





6.____T____Many of the settlers were very poor.



7.____T____Many of the settlers died in accidents.



8.____T____Many of the settlers didn’t have any shoes.





MATCH



1 Wheels                       __3__ Not wearing anything on your feet.
2.Poor                          __6__ Film about life in the west of the USA.
3. Barefoot                   __1__ Circular objects under a car, bicycle,etc.
4. Gold                        __4__ Precious yellow metal for making jewellery, coins
5. Wagon                     __5__ Vehicle with four wheels usually pulled by horses.
6. Western                   __2__ Person who doesn’t have money for a comfortable life.



COMPLETE WITH PAST CONTINUOUS



1. Tom was reading (read) a book while Peter was studying  (study) History.


2. Where were you going (you/go) when I saw you this morning?

3. I was running (run) to my friend’s house. I was late and she was waiting (wait) for me.

4. What were you doing (you/do) when I phoned you?

5. It started to rain when I was playing (play) soccer.

6. I was watching (watch) TV.

7. were your parents living (your parents/live) in Italy when you were born?

8. Marco and Kemal were drinking (drink) fruit juice.

9. They were dancing (dance) all night.

10. Was your brother dancing (your brother/dance) with Maria at the party?

11. My parents were living (live) in London. My father was working (work) for the Italian Embassy.

12. Who was playing  (you/play) tennis with you yesterday?

13. The cats were sitting (sit) on top of the piano.

14. I was running (run) to my friend’s house. I was late and she was waiting (wait) for me.



ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS



What problems did the settlers have on the journey?

They had illnesses like cholera, problems with water, no space on wagons, the weather was very cold, no shoes, etc.


Why did people leave New York?

Because they couldn't find work in New York.


Why did many settlers want to go to California?

Because people thought that in California they will find gold.

No comments: