Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 6, 2009

SOPHOMORES: DEATH OF A LEGEND TEXT.


DEATH OF A LEGEND
Sir Alec Guinness is a famous British actor. In his autobiography, he tells the strange story of the night he met James Dean, a sensational new Hollywood film star. “In the autumn of 1955 I went to Hollywood to make a film. I arrived after a sixteen-hour journey form Copenhagen and was very tired. I went with a friend to a popular Italian restaurant but unfortunately it was full. As I walked back to the car, I heard someone call my name. I turned and saw a fair-haired young man in sweatshirt and blue jeans. –Do you want a table?- He asked. –Please join me.- The young man was James Dean.
We turned back and he said: -But first I’d like to show you something.- In front of the restaurant there was a large, shiny silver sports car tied with a ribbon. There was bunch of red roses on it. –I’ve just got it!- he said. –How fast does it go?- I asked. –About 150 miles and hour,- he replied.
Suddenly I spoke in a voice that was strange to me: -Don’t drive that car. If you do, you will be dead this time next week.- James Dean just laughed. I apologized and said I was hungry and tired. We went into the restaurant and had a very enjoyable time. We said goodbye an hour later. We didn’t say anything more about the sports car.
At four o’clock the next Friday afternoon, James Dean was dead. He crashed his new sports car on the way to a car rally and died instantly.”

*James Dean made only three films: East of Eden, Rebel without a cause and Giant.

In case you are interested, I posted some videos on the "video file" section so you can check James Dean's acting.

No comments: